QUALITY
COINS
Need Help With Your Coin?

CONTACT US

See Our Full Catalog

OUR FULL CATALOG

Creating Your CustomChallenge Coins

3 Easy Steps!

If you have a design you can simply upload it or email it to us!  If you have a concept or thought of how you would like your deign to look, just let us know.  Or, you can simply contact us and our “PIN”gineers will work with you to create the perfect design.

Choose the shape and the metal plating options that you would like your design to appear on.  You also have the ability to have both sides of the coins to be different!  Choose your metal plating.  Then choose the quantity and let us know when you need them!

Receive your challenge coins and trade or display them proudly!  Don’t forget to let us know if you need anything in the future.  We are always here to help!

USO Challenge Coin

What are Challenge Coins

challenge coin is small coin or medallion, bearing an organization’s logo, insignia or emblem and carried by the organization’s members. Traditionally, they were given out to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale. In addition, they are also collected by service members, not only in the military, but also the police and fire service. In practice, challenge coins are normally presented by unit commanders in recognition of special achievement by a member of the unit. They are often given when a medal or citation is not warranted but instead to show the appreciation to the member of the service and recognize their efforts. They can also be exchanged in recognition of visits to an organization.

History of Challenge Coins

The history of the challenge coin dates back to the Roman Empire when coins were given to soldiers to recognize their achievements.   They coins were given as gifts and then often exchanged with other members or friends and family.

There are many different methods that build camaraderie and unit cohesiveness in the military, but few are as well-respected as the technique of carrying an challenge coin– a little medallion or token that symbolize that a person is a member of a specific unit. Although challenge coins have actually gotten into the civilian populace, they’re still a little bit of a mystery for those outside the militaries.

What Are The Typical Sizes Challenge Coins

Typically, challenge coins are around 38.1 mm or 1.5 to  50.8 mm or about 2 inches in diameter, however could be smaller or larger, and also about 3mm or about 1/10th of an inch thick. The designs of a coin as well as sizes differ wildly– some also can be found in uncommon forms like shields, governments, arrowheads, as well as pet dog tags.

The coins are typically constructed from:

• Pewter
  • Copper
  • Iron
  • Nickel

The Challenge Coins can then have various different metal platings such as:

• Gold
  • Silver
  • Antique Gold
  • Antique Silver
  • Black
  • And we also now have the ability to plate the metal any PMS color that you may want

The coin can then be filled with any enamel ink matched to any PMS color.  The ability to have a 3D raised portion or a photo etched or screen print is sometimes possible as well.

Challenge Coin Rules

1. RULES:
    • The challenge is begins by drawing your coin, holding it in the air by whatever means possible declare or verbally acknowledge that you are initiating a coin check.  Another method, more discrete,  is to firmly place it on the bar, table, or floor (this method requires the coin to make a sound when it hits the object that you are placing it on, without breaking it – no please watch glass tables!).  If you accidentally drop your coin and it makes an audible sound upon impact, then you have just “accidentally” initiated a coin check. (This is called paying the price for improper care of your coin.)
    • The response consists of all those persons being challenged drawing their coin in a like manner.
    • If you are challenged and are unable to properly respond, you must buy a round of drinks for the challenger and the group being challenged.
    • If everyone being challenged responds in the correct manner, the challenger must buy a round of drinks for all those people they challenged.
    • Failure to buy a round is an unspeakable crime and will require that you turn-in your Coin to the issuing agency.
  2. WHEN – WHERE:
    • Coin checks are allowed at any place and anytime.
  3. EXCEPTIONS:
    • There are no exceptions to the rules. They apply to those uniformed or not uniformed. At the time of the challenge you are permitted an arms reach and one step to retrieve your coin. If you still cannot reach it — you might just be buying that round!
  4. A COIN IS A COIN IS A COIN

Police, Fire and EMS Service Challenge Coins

Challenge Coins have made it in the civilian world in a similar fashion to the military challenge coins.  The coins are given to members of the police, fire and emergency medical service to recognize their members achievements.  These coins do not replace the normal medals or citations that members may receive through out their professional, but instead to acknowledge achievements or things that might not be cover by the award system for that agency.

Cleint Testimonials

Stephanie E

I wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! The pin looked incredible! It was perfect. The gentleman I gave it to as a gift is interested in potentially making more

Stephanie E
Jack H

KNOCKED IT OUT OF THE PARK ON THIS ONE, again. Beautiful job. They are our favorites to date. Thank you!  I can't believe how fast the turnaround time was!

Jack H
Jessica H

You are the absolute best.  I am in awe of your outstanding service. Thank you SO much.  We will be returning as soon as the need dictates.  I will not forget you!  Thanks!

Jessica H
Julie S

They are absolutely splendid!  Wow. The pins too!  We are so pleased.  Please keep the templates so we can order more when we sell out of these.  Truly a wonderful job!

Julie S
Nick T

Thank you so much for helping us with this project – we are all very appreciative of you and your team! They were very well received!  I will be in touch soon to place another order!

Nick T
Doug D

I have received the pins today. I just wanted to tell you that I am very happy with the finished product. They look very nice and I can tell you that I will be using you for any future needs.

Doug D
Erica T

The pins came out gorgeous. When they were handed out everyone was impressed and thrilled to have received one. Appreciate all the care you took with my order.

Erica T
Sheryl M

The pins turned out perfect!  Thank you so much for your patience with me as we worked through the design process.  It was obviously well worth it!  Looking forward to using you again!

Sheryl M
Victor T

Thank you so much for helping us with this project – we are all very appreciative of you and your team!  You were the only company that was able to produce these so quickly!

Victor T

Challenge Coin Options

Custom Challenge Coin Styles

challenge coin styles

Challenge Coin Edge Cut Options

challenge coin edge options

Challenge Coin Plating Options

challenge coin plating options

Packaging Options

challenge coin packaging options

Acceptable Formats To Send Your Design

Acceptable Image Types

Recent News & Article Our Blog

Learning Lapel Pin Design
What Do I Need To Know Before Ordering Lapel Pins?

The following article is to educate our audience when it…

Continue Reading..
Lapel Pin Design Tips
Custom Lapel Pin Design Tips

We have some of the best designers in our design…

Continue Reading..

Have Questions? Contact Us

PinsOvernight
    1 Paragon Drive, Montvale - New Jersey 07645

info@pinsovernight.com

(888) 309-7467